Sunday, July 11, 2010

Great Comment -- Thanks Sarah!

Sarah wrote the following in the comments section of this blog. I wanted to make sure that everyone saw it!

*************************************************************************************

So I didn't know where to post this, but I found this Op-Ed New York Times Article that addresses the power books have, versus the internet, on student learning. This is one of my favorite quotes from the article:

"But there was one interesting observation made by a philanthropist who gives books to disadvantaged kids. It’s not the physical presence of the books that produces the biggest impact, she suggested. It’s the change in the way the students see themselves as they build a home library. They see themselves as readers, as members of a different group."

As educators we should not only teach our students how to read, but make them believe that they are readers. This idea is extremely important if we enter a school that does not the funding to provide a library in a classroom. It made me reflect upon my experience with reading, and the effect having a little library must have had on my identity as a reader.

Here is the article if you want to check it out:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/09/opinion/09brooks.html?_r=1

~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment